Small Great Things by Jodie Picoult- Book Review!


A Small Great Novel!

Wow! I'm probably the last of my friends to read this epic novel but I can tell you it was well worth the wait!

Jodie Picoult
Small Great Things
2016
Publisher Hodder and Stoughton
ISBN: 9781444788037
500 pages

If Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' were to have a book baby with Kathryn Stockett's 'The Help' this is what their beautiful offspring would look like..gasp!

Written in 2016 and set in contemporary New York, Picoult creates a range of realistic narratives exploring the somewhat uncomfortable truth of race between black and white professionals in New York State. Beautifully marrying historical events in a graceful, sensitive way, we follow lead character Ruth on her journey for the truth. Her trial is shocking and frustrating, and genuinely left me emotionally battered as I felt I lived through each tormented question Ruth did. Lawyer Kennedy works hard to defend the label of baby killer in a case that is wrapped up in medical negligence, racism and ignorance.

This book is an un-putdown-able with shocking twists and turns right to the end.How I left the reading of this book for two years i have no idea. It had a profound and lasting effect on me, having me searching out my own soul. Now, what other gems lie hidden in my to be read pile?



Overall verdict?
5 BookBugs out of 5
A must read for lovers of Harper Lee's classic!

www.bookbugs.co.uk

Follow us on Instagram @book_bugs
Follow us on FaceBook BookbugsUK
www.bookbugsbookclub@blogspot.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Remains of the Day Book Review

To Be Read!

Tin Man by Sarah Winman- book review!