To Be Read!

Who's on your list?



I was on Good Reads taking a look at some other blog posts and came across this; top 100 books to read before you die!

Click Here

Actually I was quite impressed that I've read many of the books in the top 15, no easy feat with a full time job! But it got me thinking. Which books have been gathering dust on my bookshelf, lying unread? Which books have I always thought, when I've got time I'm going to give that a go? 

Hmmm...

Recently one that keeps coming back to me is Margaret Mitchell's 'Gone With the Wind.' On the BookBugs shop we had a beautiful hardback vintage copy with its dust jacket in tact with beautiful art work on it. Another book that I thought I'll be sad to see this go. No surprise it
was only on the shop a few weeks and was sold to an American buyer before I'd even had a chance to sniff the pages! 

The wonderful image of the Southern Belle, the damsel in obstinate distress that was Vivienne Leigh in the wonderful film adaptation, that iconic line from Rhett Butler "Well frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" Well frankly I don't know why I haven't given this book a chance- maybe it's time.

My next choice is a little embarrassing and I'm sure I'll get many comments on this. I have NEVER read ANY Virginia Woolf. I have nothing against the girl, in fact many of my friends remind me what I'm missing out on, but the urge has never befallen me to pick up a copy of one of her novellas. In fact I don't even own one! An oversight which will shortly be corrected. So, if you have any suggestions with which Virginia Woolf I should start with, please leave a suggestion in the comments box below.


Ted Hughes 'Birthday Letters' will be my next choice. My repertoire of poetry is woefully inadequate and I desperately need to read a few more anthologies. I remember Ted Hughes from school and 'Birthday Letters' was recommended to me. Again I purchased a copy and have savoured its pages, scanning and flicking through the titles within, but never actually sat down and read it! Sorry Ted, I promise 2018 will be your year.


Not to leave drama out as a genre,
there are two plays I definitely need to read, 'The Glass Menagerie' and 'The Death of a Salesman.' Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller, respectively, are both among my favourite playwrights, obviously 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and 'A View from a Bridge' being among their greats but again, I need to expand my knowledge and appreciation and broaden my dramatic mind!

So Mitchell, Hughes, Williams and Miller- I look forward to the day when I can cross you off my list!



Any other TBR titles would be greatly appreciated!




FB Page: Bookbugsuk
Instagram? @book_bugs



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Remains of the Day Book Review

Tin Man by Sarah Winman- book review!